Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Strawberry-Avocado Smoothie

 
Okay, since writing the post on Sunday, I have been intrigued by the notion of an avocado smoothie. So in the name of culinary science and kitchen experimentation (you know its all for you guys, right?), here is what I came up with.  And may I just say, good job me! :)

Strawberry-Avocado Smoothie

1 ripe avocado, skinned and de-pitted
1 cup fresh strawberries, decapitated (because I am forgetting the term for greens removal)
1 individual-size container (6-8 oz.) Greek yogurt, plain
1 tsp. honey
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups milk

Toss it all in a blender.


Blend.


Pour a nice tall glass and marvel at the superfood goodness of it.

NOTE

I keep all my ingredients cold so that I don't have to add ice, but you can add ice OR substitute 1/2-1 cup of milk for ice cream or frozen yogurt and turn it into a smoothie/shake.

I chose strawberries as my fruit of choice because I know they go well together from previous experience.  And I chose an avocado that was roughly the equivalent of a medium-size banana.


I added a 7 oz. container of Fage 2% plain Greek Yogurt.  I just put "individual-size" because the containers vary from brand to brand.

The best way to describe the taste is soft...I know that sounds funny, but its a good blend so depending on what you like, you may taste one thing more than another.  As always, feel free to adjust to your own taste.  The honey I used was the stuff I picked up from the Geechie Boy Market & Mill in Edisto, SC, which is really not that sweet.

Just in case you did not know, the easiest way to peel and pit an avocado is to cut it in half lengthwise and twist the sides apart.  Then (carefully) stick a knife blade into the pit and twist it out.  Scoop the flesh with a spoon and you are all set. FYI, this process works best if the avocado is RIPE! (meaning if it isn't I am not responsible for cuts and boo-boos, you were warned)

0 comments: