Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Garden Green Salad with Mint-Garlic Dressing


Okay, so I gotta be honest here, on its own watercress is definitely not a favorite.  It's a bit too bitter for my taste, but once it was mixed in with the other greens and offset by the Mint-Garlic Dressing, it actually adds an interesting depth to the salad.

And I should warn you that this is not your typical pretty girl salad.  There's a certain earthiness to it that reminds me of the insalata mistas we would order with dinner in Rome.  Kind of has a taste like someone ran out to the garden and just grabbed a handful of greens to throw in your bowl (washed first, of course).  It may not be for everyone, but I was surprised at how much I really liked the hearty taste of it and I hope you'll give it a try too.

Garden Green Salad with Mint-Garlic Dressing

Green leaf lettuce
Watercress
Zucchini, diced
Snow peas, cut

Dressing

1 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp fresh mint, minced
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/8 tsp salt

To make the dressing, put the yogurt, mint, garlic and salt in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth (may be bubbly).




Put in a sealed container and pop in the fridge until ready to use.

Dice up your zucchini (as much as is needed) and pop pieces in the microwave on high for 35 seconds, long enough to soften, but not mushify the pieces. 


Rinse snow peas and chop off ends.  Cut into smaller pieces.


Rinse and tear your green leaf lettuce, then rinse and remove stems from watercress.


Mix greens in a bowl and then plate.  Drizzle the dressing over and serve.

1 comments:

vidcite said...

I have some fresh spearmint in the garden. Would that work for this? I can certainly bring it over if it would!