Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Straw-vocado Salsa


For those of you who have been scratching your head trying to figure out where Sunday's post went? what happened to Sunday's post? did I miss Sunday's post?  Gotta apologize, I ran into a little glitch on Sunday when a virus decided to eat my computer.  It only took three days and two people later, but I am back online and well.  And the computer has been stripped, cleaned and rebuilt so should be clear sailing from here.

So now back to our regularly scheduled program...

I am not a big fan of avocado or cilantro, so the fact that I loved this recipe idea and had to share it should speak volumes for the taste treat it is.  My friend Stacy made it for a party and said she got it from Cooking Light. I went online and found several variations of the same, so picked and choosed the bits I liked best, adjusted the amounts accordingly and voila!

Strawberry Avocado Salsa with Sweet Onion Pita Wedges

1-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
1 avocado, peeled and rough chopped
2 tbsp red onion, minced
1 tbsp jalapeno, deseeded and minced (about 1/2 of a full jalapeno)
1 tbsp cilantro
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
pinch of salt

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and let sit together for 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

whole wheat pitas
sweet onion sugar
spray butter

I finally found a use for one of the savory sugars I got from The Tea & Spice Shop, but you can use cinnamon sugar instead, or experiment with other types of flavored sugar.


Put the whole pitas on a cookie sheet (I used a broiler sheet).

Sprayed them with the spray butter and generously sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. 

Remove from oven, allow to cool for a minute or two, then slice into wedges.

NOTES

Did I mention this is SOOOO good!?!?

I ended using the juice from half of a small lime which was a bit more than 1 tbsp, but I really like lime and the way it opens up the flavor of the dish.

You can adjust the cilantro too.  I find cilantro tends to take over the flavor of a dish and like to tone it back a bit, but feel free to add more than what is recommended above.

If you want to add a bit of kick to the dish, then you can always leave in the jalapeno seeds.

0 comments: