Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Zesty Orange Chicken Stirfry


For some reason, this time of year I always love a good stirfry.  It's quick, it's easy and pretty much a result of whatever I can find in the fridge or cupboard.

Since I had some orange juice concentrate leftover from Sunday's recipe thought I would find another use for it so here you go.

Zesty Orange Chicken Stirfry

1 lb chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
salt and pepper to taste
2/3-1 cup snow peas, halved
1 can baby corns, halved
1 can water chestnuts (optional)
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp chili sauce
mandarin orange segments, drained

Mix orange juice concentrate, vinegar, and chili sauce together and set aside.


Place chicken strips in a large (or deep) skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper (to taste).  Cook over medium-high heat until cooked almost all the way through, then remove from pan.


Cook the corn and snow peas until peas become bright green.


Add the chicken back into the pan, then pour in the sauce.  Stir until chicken and vegatables are all saucy.  Cook over medium heat for an additional 6-7 minutes.


Serve over rice and garnish with mandarin orange segments.

NOTES

It's the first time I've done this recipe and while I really liked the flavors all together, I would have liked the chicken itself to be a bit more orangey.  If you would like your chicken to be more orangey, I would recommend adding 1 tbsp of the mixed sauce to the pan when you first cook up the chicken.  That will help it cook into rather than just coat the strips.

You could just as easily buy a package of chicken tenderloins if you aren't as into the chicken cutting thing.

I think the next time I make this I will also change the sauce a bit and use 1 tbsp vinegar to 3 tbsp of chili sauce just to give it a bit more of a bitey tang.  If someone gets a chance to try it before I do, let me know how it goes.

The mandarin segments were a last minute "hey I got mandarin oranges in the cupboard" addition and turned out to be quite yummy on top.  Another good garnish would be some lightly toasted almond slivers.  Or both, both would work too.

0 comments: