Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Another notch in the cake post!

Another successful venture into the wedding cake world (whew!). Don't get me wrong, I didn't go into this thinking it was going to be a piece of cake (yeah, I went there). It's nerve-wracking to put a wedding cake together, especially when it's one of your closest friends and even more so now that I know Cake Wrecks is waiting in the wings just in case something goes horribly awry. My inner perfectionist and I had a couple run-ins, but in the end the happy couple was just that, so all good.

Here are a couple of photos for Show-n-Tell.


Not a big chocolate fan myself, but this photo makes me want to bite into a huge slab of chocolately goodness. My first foray into homemade chocolate icing too (it was yummy).




Final assembly took place at the cake table. Wasn't going to chance it pre-transport (discovered as we bounced over the miles of pockmarked and pitted roads between Laura's house and the reception place that GA tax dollars are NOT going into road improvement).


You know, "even" is SO overrated.


Fun is being given three buckets of fresh flowers and being told to "have at it."


Final product. Got a two-thumbs up from Laura and Todd. The cake itself was comprised of a chocolate-chocolate bottom layer, a pumpkin-marshmellow cream cheese middle layer, and a chocolate-chocolate peanut butter top layer.


Close-up of one of the side "boutonnieres" (and yes, that's a sprig of rosemary).


Despite the patented k2 pre-cake freak out, the bumpy roads, the sweat and swearing, and all the chocolate (that was a lot of chocolate), it was all worth it to help make Laura and Todd's day special. Happy Wedding to them and many well wishes!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Kathy,
That cake looks amazing. And, I bet it tasted even better. Awesome blog by the way. Makes me want a cupcake...
Amanda

TCC said...

(I'm a dork, tried to edit my response and totally screwed it up -- this is why I'm in the kitchen and not a computer lab.)

Thanks for the compliment! In the spirit of totally immodesty, it was pretty tasty, and once they started cutting it, it went FAST! Like chum to sharks fast, scary and impressive. I took it as a big compliment. :)

Will be more in the making, so keep checking in!