Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Monday, October 27, 2008

All's Fair

What is October without a trip to the State Fair? I took my annual pilgrimmage this year with Wendi. We braved a fierce drizzle and not all that chilly weather so that we could get our fix of fried food, fast pigs, and candy apples (okay, the apples was just me). Join me now on a wee highlight tour of "Kathy and Wendi Go To The Fair" (2008).

If Veruca Salt had seen this, she would have wanted a party in a pita too (who wouldn't?).

I think they serve fried food at the Fair, but we had a hard time finding it.


Finally decided on something healthy, so we went by the vegetable trolley for some deep fried green tomatoes (made fresh and on the spot). DEE-Lish! (p.s. Wendi doesn't always look this insane, but we were REALLY hungry at this point)

Cake display was mind-blowing, this was my fav! Wendi was making drooly eyes at the little Duff, it's a good thing there was glass between us and the cake (I'm a Geoff gal myself).

So many cakes...so much fondant. It's like Play-Doh for grown-ups...and they encourage you to eat it!
Mmmm, deep fried Oreos, a k2 Fair staple. The secret is lots of powdered sugar. Though I would recommend looking away as they scrape excess sugar off the counter to sprinkle on your treats, it's a bit disturbing.

This was my Waterloo. I threw in the white napkin of surrender after one bite -- deep fried Reese's Cup. Three words, oh...good...god.


I know Wendi has more photos to share. We did actually see other things like crafts, and cows, and big honking pumpkins, and scary people (and we're not just talking carnies here). All in all, an enthusiastic two thumbs up for a rollicking good time.

2 comments:

Libbi sr said...

Hey, I KNOW Wendi - and I have seen that crazy face more often then I care to remember!!! Be careful - it might get stuck that way! LOL Gotta' love ya...

Your mom :-p

Unknown said...

I am so frickin' mad I couldn't go to the fair! Thanks for the commentary and photos, it was almost like being there.

Kathy (I think) when you said "Oh . . . good . . . God . . . " re: deep-fried Reese's cup, was that a happy oath, or an I'm damned forever oath?