Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fun with Rum (pahpum-pahpum-pum!)


For those who enjoy the holiday spirits like I do (wink wink), I thought I would share a couple recipes from K2 Christmas parties past.  My favorite thing about the winter is the taste and smell of holiday spices which is why I keep a couple of nautical men handy for mixing up my Just Made This Up for My Party Christmas brews -- Captain Morgan and Sailor Jerry.  They're comparable in price and similar in taste (though Sailor Jerry tends to have a smoother finish and slightly richer taste), so either one will do for these.  Though I tend to mix my drinks on a "to your taste" basis, I have attempted to provide exact measurements, good luck with those.

Pirate's Wench
8 oz highball glass
1 oz spiced rum
7 oz Ginger Ale
Crushed Ice

Fandango
8 oz highball glass
1 oz spiced rum
1 oz orange juice
6 oz Ginger Ale
Crushed Ice

Okay this one is accompanied by a hand gesture (which is hard to do in writing, but here goes) -- you splay your fingers like you're opening a Spanish fan and say "Fahn-dahn-go" in a slow snooty voice...seriously, try it, you'll like it.

Red Rum
8 oz highball glass
1 oz spiced rum
7 oz blood orange soda
Crushed Ice (did I mention I like crushed ice?)

This one also had a hand gesture too -- crook your index finger up and down a la The Shining (or like you're pressing on a hair spray bottle) and say "Red Rum Red Rum" in a scary voice......okay, I can feel you looking at me funny, but when you're making this gesture from across the room, you know the barkeep will have exactly what you want waiting for you when you get to the bar.

So those are my made-up ones, but here are some other combos you can try:

Spiced Apple Cider
Put a big pot of cider on the stove and simmer over low heat during the party.  Throw in a couple of cinnamon sticks and keep the spice rum handy for your guests.

Spiced Eggnog
Regular ole eggnog with a shot of spiced rum.

Hot-n-Spicy Cocoa
Get your favorite hot chocolate mix, be crazy and mix it with hot milk and a dash of spiced rum.

So just a few suggestions on how to stay warm this winter.  Salut!

0 comments: