Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Let the Tailgating Begin!


So as we're rolling up into football season, we're also hitting primetime for that long-standing, pre-sport tradition known as tailgating.  Now I can't remember the last time I tailgated (if actually ever), but I am pulling together a braintrust of tailgate aficionados from different parts of the country to help guide me through the whats and wherefores of asphalt eating.

Tailgating is so second nature to major sporting events (and some non-sporting events) that I don't think anyone ever thinks about how it all started.  Did a little digging around to see what I could find out.

There's a great little write-up by Matthew Van Cura (Aug 2009 -- http://www.suite101.com/content/a-history-of-tailgates-a138879) talking about The Original Tailgaters.  To summarize, tailgating was a product of early College Football games among the Ivy League in the North, where fans would gather to feast together before and after a game.  With the advent of the civil war, it became more of a showcasing issue where fans would bring culinary dishes that reflected their side of choice (N v. S, the ultimate rivalry).  It kind of grew from there.

Now there are a couple of things that all tailgates have in common -- alcoholic beverages, grilled food, family/friends, and a sport to watch -- but there is a crazy wide variety in the factors that will determine what kind of tailgate you have.  Things like what time of day the game is (noon v. late afternoon v. evening) or what time in the season it takes place (late summer v. fall v. winter) that will determine whether or not you're looking at brunch or lunch or linner or dinner or hot foods or cold dishes.  Even what part of the country you are in will make a difference!  I never gave much thought to these things but thanks to my pals Ryan, Tom, and Brian, I do now.
 
So over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to try to bring you some tailgate-friendly recipes and ideas as suggested and sanctioned by my Tailgate Braintrust.

GO FOOD TEAM!

0 comments: