Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tailgate Treats & Eats: Spicy Ketchup


As I was flipping through my cookbook collection looking for new inspirations, I came across this recipe in one of my new favorite books, "Off the Eaten Path" (see TCC review at http://goo.gl/gE6Ex).

From the menu of Terrene (restaurant) in St. Louis, Missouri, here's a spicy little condiment that you might like to try out.  I whipped up a batch of this and it is YUM!  Of course, I think everything is better with some horseradish in it so I might be a little biased here, but think that you'll find it's a very versatile little sauce.

You can slather it on burgers, dip your deep-fried potatoes in it, generously coat your brauts, serve it up with some grilled seafood, or (wait for it) use it as a dip for onion rings (drool).  They call it Spicy Ketchup, but it's more like a ketchupy-cocktaily sauce which to me gives it a great range of use.

So try it, Mikey, you'll like it.

Spicy Ketchup

1 cup ketchup
2 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp horseradish
2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Put all the ingredients in a small bowl (or 2 cup measuring cup).


Whisk together, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30-45 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.

Ready to roll!

NOTES

I used stone ground brown mustard instead of Dijon.

You could probably use plain sherry or a red wine vinegar in lieu of the sherry vinegar, shouldn't notably alter the taste.

I'm thinking if you wanted to make it a little creamer, tossing in a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise might be do the trick. 

0 comments: