Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hominy Grill Pimiento Cheese


I'd like to dedicate this post to my Jen/n Friends. Never met two more charming gals south of the Mason-Dixon Line, but it's their overwhelming mutual love of that Southern staple pimiento cheese that makes this shout-out a must-do.

Back in February this year, Southern Living did a feature titled "Pimiento Cheese: The Pâté of the South." Never been a big fan myself, but the article included five recipes for pimiento cheese from five Southern restaurants and for the first time ever, my interest was piqued.

Since then, when I was in Charleston my friends and I ate at the Tomato Shed Cafe where they served Grilled Pimiento Cheese, which I was first-handly informed was "to die for." Then when I was flipping through The Truck Food Cookbook, the Only Burger recipe featured was for a breakfast burger with a fried green tomato, egg, and pimiento cheese. Okay, time to hop on board this train.

So going back to Southern Living, I decided to give the Hominy Grill Pimiento Cheese a whirl. They had me at cumin and kept me with bourbon. Spicy and boozy, just the way I like it, hope you do too.

Hominy Grill Pimiento Cheese
from Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC
Southern Living, February 2012, page 72 (recipe paraphrased)

6 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, freshly grated (about 1-1/2 lbs)
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (powdery, not shredded)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup jarred pimiento, rinsed and finely chopped
1-1/2 tbsp bourbon
1 tsp ancho chile powder (red chili powder)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Put the cheeses in a big bowl and mix up together until Cheddar is well-coated with the Parmesan.


In a smaller bowl, mix the mayo, pimiento, bourbon, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Blend until well mixed.


Pour the sauce over the cheese and fold in until everything is evenly coated.


As we like to say in NC, I let my pimiento cheese "set a spell" so that the flavors could get to know each other and come together on friendly terms.


Serve it up on your favorite bread...or with some chips...and you are on your way. Ready to go.

NOTE

Let me save you a little time and hassle. Say, like me, the first thing you think when you hear pimiento is olives and mosey over to the pickle and olives section. Not going to find them there so just skoot yourself over to the canned veggie isle and skim along the top shelves where they kept the jarred whatnots and there they will be in all their red glory.

1 comments:

Jenny Norris said...

Yummm!! Have you ever tried Foster's Market pimento cheese?? It's delish....