Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Orange-Ginger Chicken Stir-fry

 
Happy Happy New Year!

Even though I was away from home on NYE, managed to get some cooking in.  You know the holidays are all about food traditions -- Easter ham, T-day turkey, Christmas roast beef, and NYE Chinese take-out.

This year there was no Chinese restaurant close by the lake house where some of my besties and I spent New Year's Eve so we made our own. I brought along a new recipe to try out and my friend Juliet suggested I photograph production to share with you all.  I apologize for the less than ideal photos, since I didn't have my camera I used my phone instead.

While the photos aren't the best, the food certainly was.  There are a couple of things I would have done a bit differently but since I was working in a make-do kitchen away from home I just added the changes to the recipe below (which is why there won't be some step photos).

Orange-Ginger Chicken Stir-fry

2 tbsp sesame seeds
3-4 cups rice noodles
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh-squeezed orange juice
3 tbsp olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp ginger, cut into matchsticks
1 tsp grated orange rind
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 tsp honey
2 tsp cornstarch
1 bunch bok choy, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces

In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast sesame seeds until lightly browned and fragrant.  Remove from heat and set aside.


Prepare noodles according to package direction.  We used Thai Kitchen vermicelli noodles, 3-4 cups is approximately 1/2 box.

Once the noodles are drained and ready, add to a skillet with 1 tsp of olive oil and saute over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes.  Add in fresh-squeezed orange juice (from the grating rind orange) and continue to cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

In an electric wok on high heat, add oil and swirl to coat the sides of the wok.

Cook chicken pieces in batches. Stir-fry until golden, about 3-4 minutes.


When the last batch is cooked, add all the chicken back in and add ginger and orange rind.  Cook until fragrant, about 1/2 minute.

 
Whisk together chicken stock and honey, add to chicken.  When the liquid starts to boil, remove 1-2 tbsp and mix with the cornstarch.

Pour cornstarch mixture back into the wok and continue to boil until the sauce starts to thicken.  Lower the heat and allow to simmer.

Add prepared rice noodles to the wok. Mix well.  Add in the bok choy until slightly wilted.  Toss sesame seeds into the dish and it is ready to serve.

A deliciously healthy way to start out 2013!

0 comments: