Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Homemade Tortillas

 
Ummm...so I haven't found a buckwheat flour recipe I like yet.  It's actually trickier than I thought it might be and I may just throw in the towel and just do some buckwheat pancakes. BUT, until then, here is a little something different.

When I went to buy the buckwheat flour, I came across some masa harina which is the corn masa flour used to make tortillas which gave me a craving for Mexican food.  In addition, I've never made tortillas from scratch before so I thought it would be fun to try.


My tortillas were not beautiful, by any means, but they were tasty.  Had that fresh tortilla smell and flavor.  Add in some of my favorite fillings and voila! Muy delicioso!

Homemade Tortillas

2 cups masa flour
1 cup water

Mix together masa flour and water to form a soft malleable dough.  Add water or masa as needed to get the right consistency.

 
Knead for 5 minutes, then form into small balls (about 1-1/2" each) and allow to sit for 20 minutes.


Once the dough has rested, roll the balls out as thin as possible.


I followed the recipe on the back of the bag to make these and found that I actually ended up rolling two small balls together to make one tortilla.  My dough was a little drier than was good for rolling out without breaking along the edges.  A slightly more pliable dough would have rolled out more easily.

Put the tortilla in a heated greased pan and cook for 2 minutes per side.


Ready to serve.

0 comments: