Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Congo Bars

 
Was scratching my head to come up with a post for tonight, and Dad suggested (again) trying out the old family recipe for Congo Bars.  I've never tried the originals, and I think it turned out the way it's supposed to, but in any case, the best way to describe what resulted is a deep dish chocolate-chip-nut cookie bar.  Big smile.  Pass the milk.

Congo Bars

2-3/4 cups flour
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening
2-1/4 cups brown sugar (not packed)
4 eggs
1cup nuts, chopped
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  Set aside.

Melt shortening in a deep, heavy bottom pan.


Add in brown sugar.  Stir until well mixed.  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.


Add in the eggs, one at a time.

this is egg #2 being added

Add in dry ingredients until well blended.


Fold in nuts, chocolate chips, and vanilla.

 
Pour mixture into a well-greased 8x10 baking dish.


Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown along the edges cooked through in the center.


NOTES

I used a mix of pecans and walnuts for my nut mix because it was what I had in the freezer.

I used a mix of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and semi-sweet chips because it was what I had in the cupboard.

If you don't want to use shortening, you can substitute margarine instead.

Yes, I was too lazy to go the store so made due with what was on hand, but it did not adversely affect the results, so 'speriment away, my friends.

0 comments: