Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Colors Orange/Yellow: Mandarin Almond Smoothie


It’s a rainy day in NC so to bring a bit of sunshine, I’m going to focus on the sunny food colors of ORANGE and YELLOW. The orange/yellow fruits and veggies are colored by carotenoids, another natural plant pigment.

Foods that are rich in carotenoids can help improve the function of your immune system and help reduce heart disease and the risk of cancer.

The beta-carotene found in the orange fruits and veggies is converted to vitamin A when you eat it which is good for maintaining healthy mucous membranes and also good for your eyes.

Orange/Yellow fruits and veggies include apricots, bananas, butternut squash, cantaloupe, carrots, corn, grapefruit, lemons, mangoes, oranges, peaches, pears, persimmons, pineapple, pumpkin, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, tangerines, yellow apples, yellow peppers, yellow squash, and yellow tomatoes.

Though I’m not a huge fan of bananas I know they are good for you so I do eat them but only if (1) they are smothered in ice cream and sundae toppings or (2) smooshed up in a smoothie.

I know there are oodles of ways and means to make smoothies and everyone has their favorite, but this is my basic smoothie recipe. I always use the same base ingredients – banana, yogurt, and skim milk – but change up the add-ins depending on what other ingredients I have laying around when I make them.  This is one that has both an orange AND a yellow in it.

Mandarin Almond Smoothie

1 banana, sliced
2 cups Mandarin orange slices, drained
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tsp almond extract
skim milt to fill

Thick slice the bananas into a blender and add in Mandarin orange slices.


Scoop in your yogurt and add the almond extract.  Fill the blended with skim milk until you the level reaches 4 cups (32 oz).


Run on "Blend" until the bananas and Mardarin are blended in.


Serve up.  Makes two 16 oz servings.

NOTES

I keep all my ingredients in the fridge (including the banana) so that I don't have to add ice to the mixture.

I usually use plain yogurt, but for this taste experiment, me and the Parentals used Greek yogurt which added a slight tang to the overall taste which was pretty good.  You can also use vanilla yogurt too.

If you want a slightly thicker smoothie, use less skim milk and add in more yogurt.  I would not suggest adding more banana because it tends to take over the flavor of the smoothie if you use more than one.

If you want to try something different you can substitute frozen blueberries, fresh raspberries, strawberries or blackberries to the mix in any combination.

As an alternate flavor additive you can use honey or vanilla instead of almond extract.

0 comments: