Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mini Cinny "Donuts"


So you're probably noticing that tonight is not a "color" food post.  I fully intended to go all blue on you, but couldn't settle on a blue recipe that I liked.  And then I kept getting distracted by another recipe that kept popping into my head.  So blue will be coming at you this weekend and in the meantime, here is something fun-ilicious to try out instead.

I don't remember where I saw this recipe exactly.  I know it was in a book in a bookstore somewhere in Durham, and I remember wondering if I would remember the recipe if I didn't get the book.  The answer would be yes, I mostly kind of remembered it.  And you go.

Mini Cinny "Donuts"

1 box yellow cake mix
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a medium-sized bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together.  Set aside.


Prepare the yellow cake mix according to box directions.  Add in the nutmeg and blend well.


Grease a mini muffin tin and fill each muffin space no more than 2/3 full.


Bake for 10-11 minutes until cake springs back from your touch (mine took exactly 10.5 minutes each time).  Remove muffin tin from the oven and immediately remove "donuts" and roll in the cinnamon sugar mix.


Set on a rack to cool to room temp.  Just remember to chew after you start shoving them in your face.

Makes 4-1/2 to 5 dozen mini DONUTS!!!!!!

NOTES

As I learned in experimenting with my mostly remembered recipe, a little bit of nutmeg will go a long way.  I used a full tsp of nutmeg, but cut it back in the recipe for you because it got a little overpowering...it's not going to stop anyone from eating them, but you don't want them sitting around forever.

As I also learned, in order to avoid donuts with muffin tops, it is key not to fill your muffin tin spaces any more than 2/3 full.  That way they will bake up to just the rim of the space and not over.

I would recommend putting some paper towels or a sheet of wax paper under your rack to catch any sugars that fall off when you rack the donuts.

And the reason you want to let the donuts cool is so that they will set.  The warmer they are, the softer they are and the more likely they are to fall apart in your hand.


0 comments: