Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Check It Out: California Sun-Dry Tomatoes

 
So I have a new culinary staple that I wanted to share with you -- California Sun-Dry Sun Dried Tomatoes.

If you haven't tried sun-dried tomatoes before you should give them a whirl.  They're basically ripe tomatoes (traditionally plum tomatoes) that have been dried until the bulk of their water content is evaporated.  In a process similar to creating a reduction, what you are left with afterwards is a nice intense rich tomato flavor in a slightly chewy form.  Mmm, chewy food.

As much as I love them, I am very picky about buying sun dried tomatoes.  I've gotten them jarred and reconstituted with oil, but I find they tend to be very slimy.  Ick, slimy food.  I've also bought them vac-packed but they were too dry and it was more like eating tomato jerky.  Boo, tough chewy food.

And then there were these.  I bought them on a whim and fell in love.  Like the package promises, they are extra moist and very flavorful.  I chop them up and add them to my favorite dinner treat, mini veggie pizzas.  But you can add them to anything...sauces, pasta, stir-fry...or you can process them into a paste and use them as a sandwich spread.  One of my favorite breakfast sandwiches is egg whites with cheddar cheese and sun-dried tomato paste on a toasted bagel.  Seriously, it has life-changing capability.

I'll see if I can come up with something fun to make with them this weekend, but in the meantime, see if you can't find some for yourself.

And you're welcome.

0 comments: