Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

How About Them Apples

 
So come to find out, October is recognized by many as National Apple Month.  Though I did find one source which stated National Apple Month starts in September and ends in November…I think they might be a little unclear about the definition of “month.”  In any case, YAY!  I love apples!
 
They are my go-to snack food and favorite fruit to bake with so come with me on a journey as we celebrate this month by glorifying this wonderful treat, this familiar face, this infamous snack.
 
After some initial research all I can say is that there’s almost too much to tell, so as not to overwhelm you (and because this is a crazy month for me at my real job) I’m going to be breaking it down a little and intersperse some Apple Didyaknows between recipe features this month.
 
For tonight, I’m going to leave you with some Fun Food Facts about Apples and then start working on some tasty apple goodies for this weekend.
 
DIDYAKNOW?
 
There are 2,500 varieties of apples grown in the U.S., and 7,500 varieties grown throughout the world.
 
Apples have been cultivated for thousands of years in Asia and Europe.
 
The first cultivated apples grown in North America were planted by pilgrims in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
 
Crabapples are the only apples native to North America.
 
Apples are actually members of the Rose family.
 
If you studied apples, you would be called a pomologist.
 
Most apples are still picked by hand during harvesting season.
 
It takes around 36 apples to make one gallon of cider.
 
Apples float because 25% of their volume is air.

0 comments: