Google Groups
Subscribe to The Culinary Creative
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Turtle Bites

 
So what do you do with leftover melted chocolate when there are no more caramel apples to coat?  You make Turtle Bites, of course.

I had grand plans of actually making my caramel coating for my last post from scratch so had bought a bag of caramels...which accidentally got opened in the interim and someone (I think it was the cats) started eating them so there wasn't really enough to make a full batch of dipping caramel.  But I digress.


Since I had the caramels on hand and always keep my freezer well-stocked with NC shelled pecans, I threw them together with the rest of the chocolate candy melt.  Waste not, want more.

Turtle Bites

2 dozen caramels, unwrapped
2 dozen pecan halves
4-6 oz. chocolate candy melt, CandiQuik or candy coating

Cut the caramels in half with a paring knife.


Put a pecan half between the caramel halves and gently mash and smoosh the caramel around the nut. 

Using a fork, dip the ball of caramel and pecan in the melted chocolate.  Shake lightly to allow excess chocolate to fall off.


Set on a sheet of wax paper and allow to set.


Sea Turtle Variation

I didn't think of it until after I'd make all of my chocolates, but if you wanted to try something a little fancy, sprinkle a few grains of sea salt on the candies before the chocolate sets.  Mm-mmm.

0 comments: